Monday 26 November 2007

Things not to say to a thief...

Greetings, friends.

Ok, it's Blog time. Here are some things you should know:

There will be a serious commentary in this one.
It may or may not last long.
Once again, there is no prize (sorry!).
Can you spot the deliberate mistake?!
There will be some helpful hints at the end.

Well, I was burgled this week. Shocking. All my neat, cool stuff has gone, though thankfully my guitars and equipment are safe. Evidently, the crooks have no taste. So anyway, I had to talk to the police and get some kind of CSI-type guy round.

Before I continue, here is a very important tip: watching CSI and/or Columbo, or other great investigative shows, does not make you an expert. The real life crime expert will not appreciate your attempts to "help him" or point out his "mistakes" (e.g "why aren't you bagging that up and sending it to trace?!?!")

So anyway, I realised, after showing the guy round the scene, that it wasn't really the stuff that was gone that upset me; that can be replaced (although I was ridiculously angry): it was more the intrusion. There's something very unsettling about knowing that someone else has been in your personal space without your permission. I got into my bedroom to find that it'd been turned over, and my living room had been trashed. To add insult to injury, they'd even left their damn crowbar in my kitchen!



Here is a picture of some burglars' tools. From left: clamp for wacking people over the head, screwdriver for disabling doorbells... That thing in the middle is mine. That's for cutting the guy's nuts off when I find him. That's the crowbar he left in my kitchen, and those are the scissors he will be using to cut the hair of whoever's bitch he becomes in prison.

I suppose the other really disturbing thing is knowing that someone was tracking your movements for who knows how long.

This world is a lovely place as long as you are unaffected by things, but when reality bites down hard, you remember that there is alot of evil on this potentially glorious planet. Contentment is shortlived. You never know what's round the corner, but you can be certain that nine times out of ten it's not gonna be very nice. All the more reason to constantly be aware of our priorities in life. For me, it's about remembering to show that I love my family and friends, and make amends with those whom I've had silly fallouts with. You never know if someone is watching them and you never know what tomorrow will bring. Thought: what the hell would I have done if these people had still been there when I got home? Not worth thinking about.

Anyway, as burglaries go, this was the best you can hope for. No one was hurt and nothing sentimental was taken. If anyone reading this has had a similar experience, man, I'm really sorry. You are in my thoughts even though I don't know you just yet. Be safe people.
Now, on with the positives!

In thinking about what I'd do when faced with a burglar, I have come up with a few things to say/not to say. Please feel free to let me know anything you come up with. This could be fun! Vent your inner anguish on this page!

1) "Don't come a step further. I am a killing MACHINE!"
2)"You'll have to prise this TV from my cold, dead, lifeless fingers, you son of a bitch!" (perhaps said in a new york/italian accent - your best De Niro impression)
3)"Think fast! A train leaves New Jersey at 12.13 pm, travelling at 65 mph. Four minutes later, another train leaves Boston travelling at 45 mph. Each train has four carriages. At what time will they pass eachother?" (say as quickly as possible and get ready to wave your hand in front of his entranced face)
4) "You may take my things.....but you'll never take....my FREEDOM!" (said in your best Mel Gibson phoney Scottish accent)

That's a start. Give it some thought. Until next time, friends.

Mike
MFGN
xxx

P.S. There was no deliberate mistake! HA!

9 comments:

Yulia Mizushima said...

hmmmm... i'm noticing that all the people who commented on your 1st entry also commented on Jason Mraz's blog. ?

taytay said...

Hmm.. I'm seeing what the person before me has said...?

Thanks for describing the tools. ;]

isabel said...

ok i was totally distracted looking for the deliberate mistake the entire time.

Having said that, i am truly sorry. I've been held at gun point at my old house's doorstep (after a prince concert, and my thoughts were please don't kill me, and i can't believe that going to see prince was the last thing i ever did), so i know what it feels like to have someone track your moves, and break that intimate space. Thank god everything is ok, and that they were gone by the time you got back.

Can you move?

And if another burglar decides to pay you a visit while you are home, i'd start chunking everything in sight at him and screaming JESUS LOVES YOU over and over

lol

So'Mo' said...

This is why people should sleep in nothing but a robe...especially men. That way when a male intruder comes into your flat you greet him with an open robe, in full nude glory and say in the sultriest tone you can muster, "I've been waiting for this moment my entire life. Come'ere big boy."

Better than an alarm system.

Thanks for the comment on my blog, by the way. It is one of my greatest joys in life to bring Simon Cowell's nipples into people's imaginations. It's family, music, and Simon Cowell's nipples...in that order.

isabel said...

jesus would cap a mo fo

amanda said...

That's great.. really.. all of it. (Not the robbery, that's terrible.)

jean said...

sorry to hear about the robbery....

that sucks.

i hope you are staying warm over there. it if freezing here. think todays high is suppose to be 29.


anywho-
take care and have a lovely day

Sarah said...

Hello Mike :) Sorry to hear you were thieved. At least the guitars are safe. And you're wlcome for the cozty word :) Happy Holidays

Sarah

angela ! said...

hey, thanks for your comment. it makes me happy to know that someone reads and/or cares about what i write in my blog.

oh but also i like this entry, and i'm sorry you were burgled. this has never happened to me KNOCK ON WOOD but im glad they only took the cool stuff and not the important stuff.

have a good day =]